The Sarphatipark is a rectangular park of 4.5 hectares in the middle of Amsterdam’s living area De Pijp, situated in the district Oud Zuid. The Sarphatipark has been named after the doctor, city builder and benefactor Samuel Sarphati, of whom you can find a statue right in the middle of the park.
The Amsterdam Jewish doctor Samuel Sarphati (1813-1866) was the instigator for the construction of this park. The design in the English landscape style was drafted by the town engineer Van Niftrik. In 1885, 19 years after the death of Sarphati, the construction of the Sarphatipark began. At the time, the Sarphatipark was appropriate for the development plan of Kalff; because in the earlier plan of Van Niftrik this location had still been intended for the construction of the Central Station.
The Sarphatipark was not constructed such as the streets in the surroundings and therefore it lies lower than the rest of the De Pijp. To fill the pond, water was pumped from the Stadhouderskade via an underground tube to the Sarphatiparks pond, catering for a waterfall of fresh water.
At the Tweede van der Helststraat a pumping station was installed to keep the dispensable water away. The development around the park exists of late 19th century apartments, which have a richer decoration than the houses in the rest of the De Pijp area.
During World War II the statue of Sarphati was removed by the German occupiers and the park renamed into Bollandpark, corresponding to the philosopher Bolland. This was reversed back to Sarphatipark on May the 18th in 1945.
In 2004, the Sarphatipark got a large overhaul, among other things the improvement of the water quality was an important issue.