The Oud Zuid was formed in 1998 by merging the boroughs of Zuid and De Pijp and is traditionally known as the posh neighbourhood of Amsterdam, being one of the most popular areas for expatriates. In 2005 the area embraced a population of about 84,000 inhabitants.
Many houses are built in the world-renown style of the Dutch School and originate from the early 20th Century. Most dwellings are privately owned, well kept and spacious. As well characteristic for this area are the wide main roads, lots of green, public buildings with brick cladding, decorated with little bays, balconies and cute lobbies and a relief in the front.
Close to the Vondelpark, it offers the best of urban living with a more leafy, suburban feel, easy parking and motorway access. The transport is just excellent with the centre easy to reach by tram, bus and bicycle and most centre areas within walking distance.
The area around the Rudolf Hartplein is called Duivelseiland where you can find upmarket shops, restaurants and pleasant apartment blocks. The area between the Vondelpark and De Lairessestraat offers similar housing, but proximity to the park makes this area extremely desirable. If you like a very quiet, residential area with clean streets and large apartments, consider the Componistenbuurt and Rivierenbuurt.
The Zuid As (South Axes) is the new downtown for business people, located in the South between the Southern Amstel and the Rivierenbuurt with access to the highway A10. In the next years high-tech offices, 9,000 apartments and all kind of restaurants/cafes will arise!
The Oud South consists of:
In the West:
Hoofddorp-, de Schinkel- en de Stadionbuurt
In the Centre:
Willemspark-, Apollobuurt, the museum quarter and Vondelpark
In the East:
Oude and Nieuwe Pijp (the old and new Pijp) incl. Diamantbuurt, Frans Halsbuurt etc.
Oud Zuid regions
Nieuwe Pijp regions:
1. Willibrordusbuurt, also known as the Dora Tamanabuurt
2. Van der Helstpleinbuurt
3. Lizzy Ansinghbuurt
4. Cornelis Troostbuurt
6. Burgemeester Tellegenbuurt
7. Thérèse Schwartzebuurt
Oude Pijp regions:
2. Gerard Doubuurt
3. Frans Halsbuurt
4. Hercules Seghersbuurt
5. Sarphatipark e.o.
1. Marathonbuurt Oost (incl. Olympiakade, Olympiaplein (east side), Marathonweg)
2. Marathonbuurt West (Incl. Olympiakade, Marathonweg, Stadionweg, Amstelveenseweg)
3. Bertelmanpleinbuurt (Incl. P. Lastmankade, Amstelveenseweg en C. Krusemanstraat’
4. IJsbaanpadbuurt (Incl. Olympisch Stadion, Stadionplein, IJsbaanpad, Burgerweeshuispad, de Schinkel)
5. Van Tuyll van Serooskerkenbuurt (Incl. Stadionweg, Parnassusweg, Stadionkade, Stadionplein)
The combination of the first, second and third add up to the Marathonbuurt.
Hoofddorpplein- en Schinkelbuurt regions:
1. Johannes Vermeerbuurt,
2. P.C. Hooftbuurt
4. Banplein en omgeving
5. Jacob Obrechtplein and surroundings
6. Harmoniehof and surroundings
1. Dufaystraat and surounddings (Incl. Emmastraat, Jan van Goyenkade, Valeriusplein)
2. Het Willemspark (Incl. Vondelpark, Koninginneweg, Amstelveenseweg)
3. Cornelis Krusemanstraat and surroundings (Incl. Koninginneweg, Valeriusplein, P. Lastmankade, H. Jacobszstraat, C. Krusemanstraat, Amstelveenseweg)