Slotermeer is a district situated in Amsterdam West and a part of the Western Horticulture Cities. The name Slotermeer has been borrowed from the homonymous lake that has been there in the past and which was drained in 1644.
After the determination of the general development plan in 1935 the first implementation of the plan started concerning the Slotermeer district in 1939.
As a result of the World War II the construction of Slotermeer was postponed by 10 years. The first groundbreaking took place on December 1st, 1951. In autumn of the next year the first houses could be taken in use. On October 7th, 1952 the first of the Amsterdam horticulture cities beyond the Ringspoorbaan was opened in accordance with queen Juliana.
In the North Slotermeer is limited by the Haarlemmerweg and in the South by the Sloterplas, the Sloterpark and the Sportpark Ookmeer. The eastern boundary is formed by the Ringspoorbaan and the western boundary by the Eendrachtspark. In the middle of the district lies the Gerbrandypark.
The district consists of a mixture of low -, medium -, and high buildings which were halfway built up in the years sixty. In Slotermeer many streets have been named after resistance fighters of the World War II, Amsterdams mayors and Dutch authors from the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth century.
In 1954 the tram line 13 was extended as one of the first tram lines, which reached beyond the Ringspoordijk of the Bos en Lommerplein to the Slotermeer. The tram got its last stop at the end of the Slotermeerlaan, at the Sloterpark. In 1974, line 13 was extended to Geuzenveld. In 1989, line 13 was deflected along a new route by the Jan van Galenstraat. The old tram route was now taken over by tram line 14 and since 2004 also tram line 7 reaches the Slotermeer district!
Slotermeer and Geuzenveld were merged in 1990 to form the new district Geuzenveld/Slotermeer from that time on.