The Spaarndammerbuurt is a part of the district Amsterdam West. The area is named after the Spaarndammerdijk and – street, which accumulates the northern and eastern boundary. In the South the district borders the former track line, which proceeded via Hembrug to Zaandam, now serving as a part of the territory of the Nederlandse Spoorwagen (Dutch rail ways).
The construction of the Spaarndammerbuurt started at the end of the 19th century. The streets have been named after places situated in the West and northwest of Amsterdam. The labour houses had especially been intended for the dock workers, who worked in the ports nearby.
The Maria Magdalena church, designed by P.J.H. Cuypers, has been the eye-catcher of the district ever since its construction in 1891. Because of dilapidation the church was demolished in 1968.
The most famous buildings in the Spaarndammerbuurt are designed by Michel de Klerk, who devised labour apartments in the style of the Amsterdam School, situated at the Spaarndammerplantsoen. In the years around 1920, three of his housing blocks got constructed.
The most striking design is `The Ship’, located along the Zaanstraat. The houses were `palaces for the workers’, because before no one really cared about the design of the worker’s houses.
Also a post office was part of the block-system. The post office was closed in 2000. Instead of the post office the Museum The Ship opened its doors to the public in 2001.
Other beautiful architecture was built in the years 20, designed by K.P.C. de Bazel and by H.J.M. Walenkamp. You can find it at the Zaandammerplantsoen and the Zaanhof.
Between 1906 and 1955 the district was disposed of a tram connection to Central Station. Up to 1944 this had been tram line 5 and as from 1945 tram line 12. Afterwards the bus line 12 was put into use, which has been operating under number 22 since 1975.
In the North of the Spaarndammerbuurt an extension has been planned under the name `Spaarndammerhout’.